Sunday, June 1, 2014

November 2013

So I'm fixing my bike AGAIN!!!



11/11/13
Well this week we had lots of appointments scheduled and let me just say, first of all, that this is no exaggeration when I tell you that ALL of them cancelled on us.  We had one lesson this week, and it was unscheduled with someone we looked up on a fluke. Turns out she just wanted to bash and brought out an anti-Mormon book and tried to read it.  Yeah, I wasn't having any of that, and with lots of praying we actually had a really good lesson about authority and the Holy Ghost. I was really quite a cool experience.
I went to Maastricht this week for exchanges witht he sister training leader. I was great but man is their accent HARD to understand.  It is heavily influenced by German because it is right there on the border. I had a difficult time understanding them. It's like the "Jersey" accent of Nederlands.  Interesting and fun, but I am gland to be back in Den Bosch.
My companion and I gave talks on Sunday. That was intimidating and fun! Other than that we found a couple more potential investigators this week and have appointments scheduled with them this coming week.  Although this past week was dry we are looking forward to this next week.  Diligence is key and laughter, that helps too.

11/18/13
So as far as this week goes we saw an ice cream looking truck that said "de grill" on it and it was playing Mexican like music, so we went over and the lady opened it up and there were whole chickens and ribs!!!!!! Naturally we bought some and it was so great. It was like a taco wagon but we named it the Chicken bus. Yum!
We found a new investigator and we had a lesson with him on a park bench. He started to cry (picture this, it's a buff dude with tattoos all over) and said he wants peace and fears he's a lost soul.  We talked about Jesus Christ and the Atonement, and he told us he wanted to do whatever it takes to feel peace and happiness. We ended the lesson and he went up to his apartment. We start to leav and two giant police cars show up with 4 police in each. They get out and go get him, arrest him and take him away. We were like "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO he has to come to church!!!! Po Po be messing everything up. Oh man, that was a bummer, so needless to say we haven't had contact with him for a couple of days.  Boo
Also, I have been wondering how to get my American accent to go away. Apparently it is really, really bad. To the point where I had just had it this week.  i conatacted a man at the door (in Dutch like I always do) and he says, "I don't speak English." I was like, what? I'm not speaking English. So anyway, I've come to the conclusion that the main indicator is that I cannot roll my r's with the back of my throat, only with my tongue. So the other day I am saying the word "kinderen" over and over because that is the word I find that mine doesn't sound anything like how the Dutch say it. So here I am biking along and saying "kinderen, kinderen, kinderen" and then BAM, I rolled the r with my throat.  So I can do it now. Whenever we're biking I practice my r's and my companion tells me I sound like a crazy person, but I don't care because I want this American accent gone.




No comments:

Post a Comment